StreamCatcher Software – Temporary Windows Compatibility Issue
Product Alert: Due to the discontinuation of Adobe Flash, the included StreamCatcher software for some StarTech.com capture devices and cards is currently not compatible with Windows. We are working to provide a software update but in the interim, third-party options, like OBS, can be used as a temporary solution.
In January of 2021, Adobe began blocking Flash content from running. As a result, StreamCatcher, a Flash based program used with select StarTech.com products, is no longer functional. While we are actively working on a solution to resume the functionality of StreamCatcher, we recommend using an alternative free video capture software called OBS. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to setup OBS on your capture device.
- Download OBS capture software from this link: https://obsproject.com/
- Once installed, click the “+” icon under sources, then select “Video Capture Device” from the list of available options.
- Make sure “Create New” is selected. You can choose to name the device here, however, this is optional. Once done, click “Ok”.
- In the window that appears, select the capture device being used (for example, USB3HDCAP) from the “Device” dropdown menu.
- Next, scroll to the bottom of the window and select “Use custom audio device”. In the dropdown menu that appears, select the capture device you are using.
- Before continuing, you can scroll back to the top and click “Configure Video” to reveal a number of useful options and customizations for your device.
- From the “Custom Properties” tab, you can change the video and audio input sources (i.e. Svideo, HDMI, Component), if your capture device supports more than one.
- The “Video Decoder” tab can be used to change the video standard for analog signals of different regions.
- The “Video Proc Amp” tab contains a number of visual tweaks like brightness, contrast, and more.
- Once you have finished configuring these options click “OK” at the bottom of the capture device properties window.
- If you would like to hear the capture source audio in the preview window, you can right click on the audio mixer entry of your capture device and select “Advanced Audio Properties”
- In the next window that appears, change the “Monitor off” dropdown of the capture device entry to “Monitor and output”.
- There are additional settings, such as streaming preferences and file path location, which can be customized to your preference.
- Once you are happy with your settings, click OK and your device setup will be complete.
For more information and a full list of products this issue affects, visit www.startech.com/en-us/faq/streamcatcher-flash-limitation.
If you require further assistance or have any questions regarding setting up OBS, please visit StarTech.com/support.